PA Wilds - Moshannon State Forest Overnighter


In the matter of half hour I have seen a gang of elk, a gecko, and a brown recluse spider.

The loop: I parked at a truck stop and quickly found my way into various state forests--Moshannon, Queanna, Elk, and Sproul. The fall color here is probably one of the best in the world. 

60-70% unpaved, 1% singeltrack. A lot of climbing.



Busy town!

Wake me up when the pavement ends.

Free self portrait.

Full color.


Not 100% sure if this was open for bikes.

It got steep, I had to walk my bike a bit.


The red bushy grassy is just so cool.

Hunter truck.

Sandy roads.


A gang of elk. That right there was more than 1% the whole elk population in PA.

Stevenson Dam.

This was the view from my campsite.

Leaves traffic.





Fun and guns.


Some ATV trails.

Weird clouds before the rain.




Comments

  1. Thanks for posting this route! I'm going to try it next weekend. Any issues with parking at the gas station/truck stop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry for the slow reply... I did not get any notification of your comment. No, it's fine to park at the truck stop, I asked to some residents nearby. The lower parking spot for cars is patrolled during the night.

      Delete
    2. I also figure out how to activate the notification for comments.. I should be able to reply quickly to comments now. Thanks for your question!

      Delete
    3. Thanks! Didn't get there yet, hopefully soon. Raystown looks great too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Radio Silence Loop

The Oilfield Roads of the Allegheny National Forest - Overnighter