West Virginia Bikepacking - Lots of Singletrack - SUCCESS!

Caution: Bushwacking content.

This is a good final route after some exploration--and failures--in the past. It is a heavy singletrack route. The terrain is steep and rocky at times, with at least half mile of hike-a-bikes, constant brushing with rhododendrons, and countless logs to hop. But all this effort will take you through very remote and pristine areas. Expect no phone coverage for 95% of the time.

I marked all trailheads as well as some camping options. There is water pretty much everywhere along the trail, even in summer.

Paved 25%, gravel/doubletrack 50%, singletrack 25%.  

Need to know:
A small section (50 feet) of the Allegheny trail south of Gladwin is washed out. You need to go down into the river, which is possible only if the water level is low. This is followed by a long high-a-bike. There is a possible detour on Granville Good Road.

I rode this on a 29+ hardtail. I poked a hole in my sidewall on a rock, first time that happened to me.

I saw a bear on the trail, he was more scared than me.



Car carcass at dawn

Olson Tower

Blackwater River Canyon

Some repurposed cross-country ski trails/Gladwin road

Dead end--except for bikes. Note: Singletrack between ferns. I did not take pictures of the nastiest trails, I guess was too busy to survive in those moments.

More reflections

Logging road

Timber extraction by helicopter

Loading logs





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Radio Silence Loop

PA Wilds - Moshannon State Forest Overnighter

The Oilfield Roads of the Allegheny National Forest - Overnighter